Sunday, August 11, 2013

Around Vancouver Island-790 miles-7/13-8/10-We're back!

I awoke this morning with the distinct sensation that the bed was moving gently around the room, and that my body was rolling in response to the nudge of waves. I had to grasp my sensations by the horns and actively remind myself that nothing was moving anymore, and that I was, in fact, home on a solid surface. My home had of course been on the sea for the past month, and I already miss it dearly.

Approaching Solander Island and Cape Cook under double reefed main. 
We're back. Our incredible sailing adventure around that magnificent island has come to a close, and over the weeks ahead I will try to report on the various worthwhile parts of the journey. I will only say here that it was much easier overall than we had expected. This was true in terms of dealing with the boat, the seas, the logistics, each other and the weather. And it was more beautiful, and more rich, than we imagined.



There were whales all around, and sea otters, and rhinoceros auklets, and puffins, and more invertebrate marine life than we could believe. There was more emptiness, and silence, and wilderness than we could have hoped for. And this silence was filled most by the humor and stories and togetherness of our family in ways that will forever remain among our cherished memories.

What was rich around us, became rich within us.

We are now in that process of returning that is so fraught with challenges. It is not the going that is hard. It is not the challenges one faces of courage or logistics that are most difficult. No, it is my belief that the far greater challenge is reconciling the life of wilderness travel with the domestic life that most of us live. However much I appreciate and enjoy my life in society, and in my home, and among my friends and colleagues, there is a very clear sense in which I yearn constantly for the clarity and challenge and jubilation of great journeys. And this particular great journey will remain with us for a very long time indeed. All of you who have gone on great adventures, and come back filled and changed, know what I am trying to say.


No comments: